Sunday, October 01, 2006

My first trip to South Africa (1)

Today I am on my way to Johannesburg in South –Aftrica. As I have mentioned before, I will represent the World Summit Award at the Government Technology Conference in the Sandton Convention Centre. It will be my first time in South-Africa. I am very anxious to learn to know the country. Besides English, there are people who speak Afrikaans, which is a form of Dutch. I can understand it, but the language has undergone a different development over the years.

The conference is organised by Terrapin Ltd. This organisation works through international offices and organises conferences on the subject in South-Africa, The Netherlands, the Middle East and Asia. The World Summit Award has made an alliance with the organisation and is now involved in several conferences. I will be speaking in Africa and manning the booth of the World Summit Award. At the conference in Amsterdam (9-11 October) Peter Bruck will speak and Thomas Biebl will man the WSA booth. For the Middle East conference (3-5 December) my friend Waheed AlBalushi will speak and be present with a booth. In this way the World Summit Award can carry out its mission and show the e-government applications of 2003 and 2005 competitions.

After the conference I will have some time to explore the country. I hope also to meet some multimedia producers who deliver work products and services in Afrikaans. I hope to interest them for the Europrix.nl 2007 competition of products and services in the Dutch language, which we are starting up in January 2007. It would be great to have a number of Afrikaans products and services.

Tags:

Blog Posting number 526

No comments: