Sunday, June 25, 2006

Crossmedia journalism (5)

New journalism or crossmedia

In the afternoon the discussion on crossmedia went deeper. The traditional definition was questioned and crossmedia can be found embedded in new journalism.

Paul Molenaar, CEO of Ilse Media, a subsidiary of Finnish publishing company Sanomat Oy, started his presentation from the position that a revolution was going on in journalism (He spoke with a journalistic background, being a alumnus of the organising School of Journalism). Due to new channels journalism is changing. Were traditional journalistic values completeness, correctness and newsworthyness the most important standards, now journalism is evaluated by discussion, rebellious attitude and unfiltered opinion. He also indicated that the present newspapers are 80 percent commodity and the other 20 percent not enough distinguished. This is why a site like is a success compared to commodity papers. But he also recognised that there are limits to crossmedia. The consumer/blogger should become a specialist, choose a medium and focus and commercialise his site. Regional newspapers are not there to pass regional news. But they should develop regional communities through various channels.

Peter Verweij, a lector at the School of Journalism, spoke about the end to journalism. Journalism version 1.0 was done; now it is time for journalism 2.1. We move from closed media into open media; sender and receiver have disappeared. What is the role of a journalist in journalism 2.1? His/her task has changed from town cryer to participant and in a local debate. Also his grammer has changed from a story, perhaps illustrated with a photograph to a story of a virtual walk through.

The tension between crossmedia and journalism was not solved either. Again civic journalism was more more prominent. Again there was a struggle with the definition of journalism, the values, the newspeak and the use of two or more media. How much will journalism be influenced by crossmedia?

In the Dutch debate following the conference there was a question on the inventor of the term. I am not sure. Only thing I know is that the term crossmedia replaced the term database publishing (create once and produce many times) of the eighties. In the back of my head there is a flickering light saying that someone of Time Warner used the term crossmedia for the first time in 1996 explaining the print-internet partnership. I would love to hear from someone on the origin or first time use of the term crossmedia..Tomorrow I will close off this mini-series with a some conclusions. The discussion on crossmedia is not over yet.

Tags: crossmedia,

Blog Posting Number: 421

No comments: